Conference-Day-One: Tuesday, 23rd July 2019
8:00 am - 9:00 am Coffee and Registration
9:00 am - 9:10 am Conference opening from IQPC and Chairperson
Belinda BrightRegional Managing Director
9:10 am - 9:50 am International Keynote: Making Operational Excellence Projects Stick at Hertz through Momentum and Continuous Improvement
Jim Hinderks, Global Continuous Improvement Lead at Hertz, will present a case study on the projects he and his team are leading to institutionalise and continue a culture of continuous improvement. Aiming to offer a strategic level of oversight, operational excellence cannot be achieved without understanding and perfecting CI capabilities.
And with over $100 million in cost reduction, and 10,000 locations across the globe, Jim will disclose how his company’s operational growth strategy has remained at an incline.
- Understanding the Hertz approach in Continuous Improvement capability and how to transfer this across industries
- Translating strategic deployment for your Business Service Organisation
- Deploying your key metrics for business success
Jim HinderksGlobal Continuous Improvement Lead
10:20 am - 11:00 am Case Study: Using Data Science to Make Better, Long Term Decisions: A Cross-Industry Approach Between Walmart, Uber and Twitter
Prakhar Mehrotra, Senior Director of Machine Learning at Walmart, will deliver a case study on his work at Walmart that has allowed the team to implement and advance machine learning capabilities across the organisation. Presenting on big data, he will discuss how his team is making use of recent advances in machine learning to automate and improve store operations.
With an average of 220 data scientists across his team, and an aim to grow his team as new talent is found, Prakhar will explain why accumulating and growing your data to improve store operations is the only way to grow your business.
- Understanding how to overcome current obstacles and preparing for future challenges
- Creating a sound structure for your data operations team to ensure the right people are hired and trained to improve processes
- Instigating an efficient analysis of your data and feeding this information back to the team
Prakhar MehrotaSenior Director of Machine Learning
11:00 am - 11:30 am Speed Networking
11:30 am - 12:00 pm Coffee and Networking Break
INTERACTIVE DISCUSSION GROUPS (IDGs)
Back by popular demand – you will you hear peer-to-peer led case studies and best practice; you will also receive focused thought leadership and insight into the future of OPEX in Australia. How will the IDGs run?
- The entire audience will break up and choose IDGs based on which topics are most relevant and interesting to them.
- Each IDG is set in a roundtable format and will be facilitated by a senior thought leader in the space.
- Each delegate will have the opportunity to select 3 topics and will rotate between their choices every 30 minutes.
- Discussion groups are kept small to ensure all delegates get the opportunity to ask their most pressing questions, ensuring a perfectly tailored experience.
ROUND ONE 12:05 – 12:35 | ROUND TWO 12:40 – 13:10 | ROUND THREE 13:15 – 13:45
Table One11:00 am - 12:30 pm Agile Teams: Temporary Strikeforce to Solve Complex Issues or Organisational Redesign as Part of a Holistic Change Transformation
Belinda BrightRegional Managing Director
Table Two11:00 am - 12:30 pm How to Govern Process Mining Initiatives for a Result-Oriented Approach
Table Two11:00 am - 12:30 pm Increasing Data Literacy in the Workforce
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm Lunch and Networking Break
BUSINESS TRANSFORMATION - Stream A: Linking Processes and Operations to Your Company Strategies and Values1:30 pm - 2:10 pm Case Study: Designing a Structured Approach to Drive Business Agility
Having an in-depth understanding of your customer for firm wide strategic alignments is integral when undergoing operational change. In 2018 King & Wood Mallesons implemented a new CRM process and client strategy to grow the business and improve functions.
Anna Szabo, Head of Business Development Operations, will discuss how she has worked to ensure efficiency within the firm’s processes, and what’s next for Phases 2 and 3.
- Determining an in depth analysis of how your business truly
- functions to strategically improve future process
- Aligning operational excellence and strategies to drive value and growth
- Implementing agile and flexible working into business culture to manage projects more efficiently
Anna SzaboHead of Business Development Operations and Strategic Projects
King & Wood Mallesons
BUSINESS TRANSFORMATION - Stream A: Linking Processes and Operations to Your Company Strategies and Values2:00 pm - 2:30 pm Aligning your Business Journey in a Strategic Setting Through Business Transformation Management
This session will focus on the importance of improving operational efficiency and restructuring your departments through business transformation management. Using strategic foresight in your change management approach will help you build an effective business case to senior leaders when investing in the right people and places.
Hear from Joanne Banyer, the Department of Infrastructure’s Program Assurance Director, on the work taking place in transforming the department’s change management strategies.
- Bringing strategic foresight to change management initiatives
- Instigating effective program delivery through the implementation of a strategic, long term roadmap
- Overcoming challenges involved in getting people and organisations to adapt to processes
Joanne BanyerProgram Assurance Director
Department of Infrastructure
BUSINESS TRANSFORMATION - Stream A: Linking Processes and Operations to Your Company Strategies and Values2:30 pm - 3:00 pm Case Study: Shining a Light on the Water Industry: A Business-Wide Approach to Operational Excellence
The pursuit of operational excellence has always been part of a shared set of outcomes which water and utility companies have been trying to achieve. However, the approaches employed by companies to achieve these outcomes differ based on the company.
Raj Iyer will present an in-depth case study highlighting Water Corporation‘s employment of a new training strategy. This led to the successful implementation of a long term operational excellence program, which began with teaching each department the processes behind the program.
- Utilising an organization-wide strategy to improve processes
- Having aligned objectives and outcomes in the transformation process
- Embedding within the corporate culture an agile and continuous improvement philosophy
Raj IyerContinuous Improvement Manager
LEADERSHIP AND CHANGE MANAGEMENT - Stream B: Enabling Long Lasting Change and Cultural Transformation1:30 pm - 2:00 pm The NBN Journey: Lessons Learnt and Improvement Made in Operational Excellence
Ravi Ramachandran, leading the Enterprise Excellence Capability Team at NBN, will deliver a case study on the journey he and his team have undergone to develop and deploy their operational excellence programs. Helping to improve operational capabilities, he will discuss the company’s explicit focus on mindset and behavioural shifts, as well as delivering tangible benefits back to the business.
- Using the language of Business Process Excellence to help organisations navigate scale, CX and cost challenges
- Creating the self-healing capabilities required for an organisation to embed operational excellence
- Aligning people and strategy to optimise processes and achieve higher results Measuring the success of an Operational Excellence deployment
Ravi RamachandranExecutive Manager- Enterprise Excellence Capability
LEADERSHIP AND CHANGE MANAGEMENT - Stream B: Enabling Long Lasting Change and Cultural Transformation2:00 pm - 2:30 pm Refining Operational Processes at Transurban Through Leadership and Change
Michael Whelan, General Manager of Operational Excellence at Transurban, will deliver a presentation surrounding process excellence. Having 13 team members across their operational development team, Michael will present a project study on the work he and his team are doing to refine their operational strategies across Australia.
With leaders in Operations needing to find support in fellow colleagues before projects can be run, Michael will discuss the journey he faced in gaining fellow executive level engagement to grow the business.
- Building an effective business case to ensure executive support
- Empowering employees to think strategically to reduce micro management
- Understanding how to overcome challenges when undergoing business model change
Michael WhelanGeneral Manager of Operational Excellence
LEADERSHIP AND CHANGE MANAGEMENT - Stream B: Enabling Long Lasting Change and Cultural Transformation2:30 pm - 3:00 pm Case Study: How NSW Health Share are Breaking through the Barrier of Innovation
Melissa Pollard will deliver a case study on the innovative work taking place at NSW Health Share. A shared service provider for NSW Health, Melissa will discuss the journey the team underwent in breaking through the barrier of innovation to implement long term continuous improvement.
Brining the right team together and implementing a culture of leadership and strategic innovation, Melissa will present on the continuous improvement journey the team underwent within the past 12 months, and how organisations can effectively implement long term OPEX projects
- Implementing an effective cultural approach to leadership and change management
- Understanding how to implement strategic, long term innovation within your organisation
- Utilising a people-based approach to innovation within your teams
Melissa PollardAssociate Director Continuous Improvement & Innovation
TECHNOLOGY AND DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION - Determining Best Practice to Improving and Implementing Process Change1:30 pm - 2:00 pm Sydney Airport’s Journey to Improve Their Digital Processes
Kristi McLachlan, Head of Delivery Strategy and Support, will present a case study on the work taking place at Sydney Airport to develop their enterprise PMO. With passengers demanding new ways of traveling and a large portfolio of construction projects in the pipeline, Sydney Airport continues to undergo new initiatives to ensure they cater to all through new and innovative processes.
Focused on data-driven decision making in Capital management processes and project delivery, Kristi will talk about their operational excellence journey and the benefits of managing projects across the full lifecycle to drive capital and resource efficiency.
- Implementing system changes to ensure the highest level of success
- Having clear and defined stakeholder engagement and change management strategies
- Understanding and utilising key data and metrics for improved business function
Kristi McLachlanHead of Delivery and Strategy Support
TECHNOLOGY AND DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION - Determining Best Practice to Improving and Implementing Process Change2:00 pm - 2:30 pm Case Study: Building an Process Function to Accelerate Digital Transformation Initiatives
Developing a centre for excellence to scale up and accelerate your company’s digital transformation can be the first step in leveraging specific projects into an enterprise-wide transformation.
Hear from NAB’s Ana Marinkovic as she presents on the importance of running digital transformation projects and the journey her and the team have undergone to implement these effective, strategic initiatives
- Utilising new innovation within your organisation to improve strategic initiatives
- Updating legacy systems for improved processes
- Training teams to understand and incorporate new technologies and ways of working into everyday functions
Ana MarinkovicGM of Business Support
National Australia Bank
TECHNOLOGY AND DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION - Determining Best Practice to Improving and Implementing Process Change2:30 pm - 3:00 pm The Optus Story: Bridging the Gap Between Executive Leaders and the Customer Through Agile Implementation
Wen Smallwood, Director of Digital Transformation and Agile Implementation, will deliver a case study on the work taking place at Optus in their digital transformation office. Upgrading their app over the last 12 months, the company decided to implement an agile framework for specific, fast-paced projects to ensure an improved service model. This also helps in effectively mapping out the customer journey in their analytics department.
Wen will present on the positive work the team has done, and the lessons learnt, in having an agile framework exist throughout a traditional and widespread organisation.
- Understanding how agile frameworks can help in prioritising projects
- Moving away from a strictly end-to-end project-based approach in Operational Excellence to ensure continuous growth
- Learning how successful transformation of insourced organisations is dependent upon internal processes
Wen SmallwoodDirector Digital Transformation and Agile Implementation
3:30 pm - 4:00 pm Afternoon Tea and Networking Break
4:00 pm - 4:40 pm Fishbowl Debate: Driving Change Within Your Teams to Grow Operational Excellence Initiatives
In this information session, delegates will have the opportunity to share their views by asking questions to our exclusive C-Suite panel for a maximum of five minutes each. It is here you will hear from our panel on the topics that are shaping their organisation, allowing you the opportunity to add to this by discussing your ideas and initiatives influencing your own company. Key topics of discussion include:
- Understanding the evolution of OPEX and key business strategies for operational excellence
- Democratising data: How is the proliferation of big data impacting modern operation functions
- Moving away from the conversation of process and understanding the true mindset behind operational excellence
Paul DohertyChief Operating Officer
Jeremy CowanChief Operating Officer
Neal LawsonChief Operating Officer
Metro Trains Melbourne
Frances CawthraChief Financial Officer
Australian Taxation Office
4:30 pm - 5:00 pm Closing Keynote: Recognising and Removing the Mental Barriers to High Performance
Due to popular demand, Anthony Bonnici will join us in 2019 to deliver his brain blinkers segment for our leaders and rising stars in operational excellence!
In this cornerstone session, workshop participants will learn how to identify and remove limiting beliefs to enhance performance, both professionally and personally. From there he will discuss the brain blinkers of self sabotage, and finally practical models that our leaders can utilise to reduce stress and fear.