Management is being blown up. The old methods used by GE, HP, and a plethora of iconic brands will not take us to the future - because of three reasons:
- Speed of change,
- Needy customers with outrageous demands, and
- Employees looking for their next gig.
Management will need a new design in five areas to counter this:
- An AIM with a compelling narrative for change - bonuses and shareholder wealth will not inspire a new generation of workers;
- A need to convert data into knowledge - big data is all the rage, but 90 per cent of organizations aren't using fundamental statistical tools;
- Of the 10 per cent that are using these tools, most are not getting the full knowledge they can bring;
- Customer-in design - organizations are embracing customer service and customer experience, but the real gains come from a redesign - not just more effort;
- A disciplined decision-making method is missing - organizations are great at analysis, but fail to have a structured process to counter confirmation bias and multiple ideas; and
- Innovation in goods, services, and ideas - innovation requires method to continue to learn.